Building every server as an island
Typically, Linux server builds follow our Linux server design phase.
Our build principles are all about security and as our founder always like to say, every server is built as an island… Access is the exception, as opposed to the default.
We go out of our way to ensure our servers will maintain its locked down state ongoing.
Updates are important too. It’s easy to ensure they’re uptodate on day 1. Our default build is self-patching (with our watchful eye). We also make sure updates are only ever sourced from reliablle secure repositories.
Unmanaged software would never be installed, unless there’s a compelling reason to do so.
Access is typically granted on a per user basis. Secure passwords are used by default. Having done this for a long time, we’re constanly amazed at the number of insecure passwords we see on servers. Shared logins and weak passwords are the biggest vulnerability.
Documentation comes as standard, which customers can request at any time for free.
Backup routines are created in conjunction with customer conversations.
Security is of the upmost importance to a financial institution such as
ourselves and the team at Dogsbody Technology consistently deliver a
pro-active approach for both our server and the internet at large.
We value their commitment and professionalism.
– Bernard Scotland-Rose, IT Manager – Plane Saver Credit Union
The Dogsbody Linux server build checklist
Dogsbody Technology will:
- Build what was agreed at design and advise
- Work with customer devs as required
- Be on hand for migration and go live (prior arrangement)
- Help with testing
- Provide a build guide
- Communicate via email, phone, Slack
- Provide any credential “securely”
- Set up maintenance and monitoring
- Monitor project creep
- Advise if and why additional time is needed
In return, our customer will:
- Answer any questions in a timely manner
- Provide realistic deadlines
- Advise any changes to agreed timeline/deadlines
- Provide any existing documentation if possible
- Provide access
- Provide go live and migration requirements inc date and time in advance
- Provide technical contact details
- Advise of any holiday/sick
- Pay for time if project is cancelled mid project for any reason
- Liaise with their own maintenance provider as required
- Agree to our Terms & Conditions
Get in touch and let us help
Call us for a no obligation chat – let’s help you right away.
If it’s less urgent, give us some detail in the form below and we’ll be right back to you.