Position: Linux Systems Apprentice (Level 3)
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14
Job type: Permanent, Full-time
We are seeking talented IT apprentices to join our apprentice program. By the end of the programme you will have gained a level 3 IT qualification and the opportunity to complete additional professional qualifications such as Cisco CCNA.
We are looking for engaging, positive individuals with enthusiasm and self motivation who are looking for their first step on the IT industry ladder. Over the programme the successful candidates will develop a good technical understanding of a variety of IT technologies.
Our apprenticeship is perfect for all ages, from 18 – 80, from young adults to military veterans, reservists, and their spouses, whether beginning your IT career or reskilling.
This is an outstanding opportunity for committed and bright individuals to begin their career in IT and we are seeking candidates with high potential.
The apprenticeship provides a mixture of on the job training alongside bootcamp sessions and intense bursts of classroom training. There will also be assignments that will need to be completed in order to attain the standard of knowledge and skill required for the formal qualifications.
You’ll also join the team at the many events and seminars we attend such as the EMF Camp & the AWS Summit. You’ll also be encouraged to better yourself via evening activities such as Toastmasters should you wish.
Around 50% of your time will be spent doing project work and 50% doing support work. Project work includes new server builds, server reconfigurations and migrations of sites/applications from one infrastructure to another. Support work includes dealing with outages, attacks on infrastructure and day to day enquiries from customers.
The ideal candidate will have
- A natural aptitude for understanding technical information
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- A positive, ‘can do’ attitude
- Career focus and self motivation
- Experience of any Linux OS (not essential)
- Five GCSEs or equivalent at grade A*- C including English and Maths
- A genuine passion to learn about IT
- Strong interpersonal skills/ability to work in a team environment
- A logical mind, someone who is a problem-solver and doesn’t give up easily
- Must not already hold a qualification at the same or higher level in a similar subject
- Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
The expected time for completion 1-2 years, with the majority of candidates taking 17-19 months.
You will receive training based around the following modules…
- MTA Networking Fundamentals Certification – develops an understanding of wireless networking, IP addressing, wide area and local area networks, routers, switches, and the OSI model.
- MTA Cloud Fundamentals Certification – develops fundamental skills and knowledge using Microsoft cloud services.
- Coding & Logic – enables recognition of a variety of coding and logic features to provide support to users, improve productivity and to troubleshoot problems relating to infrastructure.
- Mobile & Operating Systems – provides an understanding of current operating systems and secure deployment of remote mobile devices.
- Business Processes – provides an understanding of the business processes and information security requirements to support IT operations.
Resulting in an IT Infrastructure Technician Level 3 qualification
You will also have the opportunity to complete additional professional training such as:
- Linux Foundation Linux Certifications
- Cisco CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
- VMware VCP (VMware Certified Professional)
Plus soft-skills training including customer service, relationship building, organisation and self-promotion.
No agencies, recruiters or training providers please