Position: Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Job type: Full-time, Permanent; however will accept applications for this role on a part time (minimum 2.5 days a week) or 12 month contract with choice to go permanent.
Location: Based in Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14. Option to work from home once your probation period is complete.
As part of our continued growth we are looking for an experienced Linux Systems Administrator (SysAdmin) to join our existing small flexible team.
This role would be perfectly suited to a freelancer looking for more stability. A solid salary each month, paid holiday, matched pension scheme, sick pay & the same freedom to work on the projects that interest you.
Time will be spent doing project and support work.
- Project work includes new server builds, server reconfigurations and migrations of sites / applications.
- Support work includes dealing with outages, attacks on infrastructure and day to day enquiries from customers.
We are passionate about passing on knowledge to young adults and run a yearly apprenticeship intake. You will also help with their training and development – they will likely also teach you some stuff too.
Attitude, flexibility, and the ability to learn new technologies quickly, are more important than years of experience, however you’ll need production experience of:
- Linux (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, etc.)
- Webservers (e.g. Nginx, Apache, Lighttpd, etc.)
- Version Control (e.g. Git, Subversion, etc.)
- SQL server (e.g. MySQL, Percona, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- PHP configuration (e.g. PHP-FPM, ModPHP, etc.)
- Shell Scripting (sh, BASH, etc.)
- Working in a support environment
- Working in a team environment
- TCP/IP Networking (IPv4 & IPv6)
- Excellent communication skills (written & oral)
- Active knowledge of industry trends
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK
Experience with the following would also be beneficial, but not required:
- Public cloud services (e.g. AWS, GoogleCloud, Rackspace, etc.)
- Automation tools (e.g. Ansible, Vagrant, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Container technologies (e.g. Docker, LXC, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Virtualisation (e.g. VMware, Xen, KVM, Openstack, etc.)
- NoSQL (e.g. MongoDB, DynamoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Programming (e.g. Python, PHP, Java, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
- Linux firewalling (e.g. iptables, UFW, Shorewall, etc.)
- High Availability and Load Balancing Technologies
- Out of Band Management (e.g. ILO, DRAC, etc.)
- DBA Skills (e.g. Replication, Optimisation, etc.)
- Email (e.g. Sendmail, Postfix, MX records, etc.)
- Keystores (e.g. Redis, Memcached, etc.)
- Constant Integration (e.g. Jenkins, etc.)
- Monitoring (e.g. Nagios, SNMP, etc.)
- Search (e.g. Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.)
- SAN (e.g. NFS, iSCSI, etc. )
- Linux Kernel Tuning
- ITIL Experience
- Competitive salary (we know that this line is a cop out but as we hope you can see above, we aren’t looking to fill a specific role, we are looking for the right people to join our business. We haven’t had any complaints yet!)
- Pension matching up to 10%
- Subsidised restaurant and gym on-site
- Your choice of hardware (laptops, monitors, keyboards and mice can be personal things in our industry)
- Flexibility around working from home
- Training budget to keep your skills up to date
- Conference budget to keep your ear to the ground
- Join the team at the many fun events such as hackathons and Electromagnetic Field.
No agencies or recruiters please